Official Web Sites:
451 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10016
About This Publisher:
Best known in the manga-verse for their award-winning editions of classic graphic novels by Osamu Tezuka, the godfather of manga, Vertical also publishes a wide array of books from Japan, including novels, non-fiction, cookbooks, art books, puzzle books, self-help, business, and craft books.
Vertical's editions of Dororo and Buddha (both by Osamu Tezuka) were honored with Eisner Awards. Buddha Volumes 1 and 2 won in 2004, Buddha Volumes 3 and 4 won in 2005, and Dororo won in 2009. Vertical's editions of Tezuka manga are also notable for their graphic / book design. Chip Kidd acted as founding art director for many early Vertical titles, including Ode to Kirihito and Apollo's Song. Later editions, including Dororo, were designed by Peter Mendelsund.
Vertical's editions of manga by Osamu Tezuka have primarily focused on his work for grown-up readers, including MW, Ode to Kirihito, Apollo's Song, Buddha, Ayako, Message to Adolf and The Book of Human Insects (a.k.a. Human Metamorphosis). These editions have found a broad readership that appreciate Tezuka's masterful and innovative approach to graphic storytelling. That said, Vertical has also published some of Tezuka's shonen and shojo manga titles geared for younger readers, including Dororo, Princess Knight, and Black Jack.
While initially known for their editions of classic manga titles by Osamu Tezuka and Keiko Takemiya, Vertical has since moved into publishing contemporary manga titles, many from Kodansha, such as Chi's Sweet Home, The Drops of God, and GTO: 14 Days in Shonan. They have recently moved into publishing art books, such as Queen's Blade Complete Visual Collection.
Vertical has also brought several of their creators to comics events in North America. Felipe Smith (Peepo Choo) was Vertical's guest at San Diego Comic-Con, and Konami Kanata (Chi's Sweet Home) and Usamaru Furuya (No Longer Human) were Vertical's guests at Toronto Comic Arts Festival.
As of 2011, Vertical is partly owned by Kodansha, one of Japan's largest publishing companies, and Dai Nippon Printing, a Japanese printing company.
Publishing and Licensing Affiliations:
- Tezuka Productions
- Media Factory
- Square Enix
- Ohta Shuppan
- Shonen Manga
- Shojo Manga
- Seinen Manga
- Josei Manga
- All-Ages Manga
- Children's Books
- Non-Fiction (Crafts, Cookbooks, Puzzles, Self-Help, Business)
- Art Books
Popular Current Titles:
Vertical Inc. News:
- Vertical Picks Up New Sci-Fi Manga, Knights of Sidonia for 2013 - June 20, 2012
- New Manga Roundup: Vertical Adds Paradise Kiss to 2012 Lineup - April 10, 2012
- Konami Kanata, Creator of Chi's Sweet Home Coming to TCAF - March 27, 2012
- Wednesday: Taste Wines Featured in Wine Manga The Drops of God - November 6, 2011
- Manga Artist Usamaru Furuya Added to Toronto Comics Festival Line-up - February 6, 2011
- Vertical Adds Princess Knight, Wine Manga The Drops of God to 2011 Line-up - January 29, 2011
- 17 Manga Get YALSA Nod on Great Graphic Novels for Teens List - January 12, 2011
- Manga Makes Its Mark in YALSA's 2009 Graphic Novels for Teens List - January 29, 2009
- Vertical: No Longer Human Manga Announcement "Premature" - October 14, 2010
- NYAF 2010: Vertical Adds New Tezuka, Furuya Manga to 2011 Line-up - October 12, 2010
- U.S. / Japan Manga Creator Felipe Smith Boosts Peepo Choo at Comic-Con - July 17, 2010
- Vertical Posts Online Preview of Tezuka's Black Jack Manga - July 12, 2008