Official Web Sites:
5-1, 1-Chome Taito, Taito-ku
Tokyo 110-0016 JAPAN
About This Publisher:
JManga was founded in 2010 with the support of the Digital Comic Association of Japan, a consortium of 39 Japanese publishing companies, including Kodansha, MAG Garden, Futabasha and Ohzora Publishing. JManga offers a variety of current and classic manga titles from Japan via their website, JManga.com, including shonen manga, shojo manga, seinen manga, josei manga, yaoi (boys' love) manga and yuri (girls' love) manga.
JManga was introduced to North American readers at San Diego Comic-Con 2011, when representatives from JManga, Kodansha, Shueisha, Shogakukan, Futabasha, and Kadokawa Shoten made a presentation and had a panel discussion explaining the hows and whys of this online-only publishing venture. You can read the transcript from the panel, and read an interview with four of the publishers' reps from SDCC 2011.
While JManga was only available to readers in North America when it first launched in August 2011, most JManga titles can now be read by readers from all over the world, although the availability of some titles are restricted to certain countries.
JManga is currently available via their website, which uses a Flash-based interface. JManga will also be available via their iOS apps for iPad and iPhone, and Android apps for phones and tablets in Fall 2012.
JManga titles are available for purchase via a points system, which currently has an exchange rate of 1 point = 1 US Dollar. Readers can purchase JManga titles singly, or buy points via a monthly subscription plan. Generally, JManga titles cost between 499 points - 1000 points, depending on the publisher and length of each volume.
After one year of operation, JManga has ramped up their releases, and now adds new titles to the site every Tuesday and Thursday. While it will take a while for them to get all 39 publishers from The Digital Comics Assocation of Japan on board, they have made significant strides toward offering a variety of titles, including many niche tittles would otherwise not likely be published in print in North America.
JManga also promotes Japanese comics and pop culture with feature articles on Japanese culture, video clips, interviews with comics creators, and contests promoting Japanese - English translation.
Publishing and Licensing Affiliations:
- Asahi Shimbun Publications Inc.
- Fusosha Publishing
- Gakken Holdings
- Harlequin K.K.
- Leed Publishing
- Libre Publishing
- MAG Garden
- Magazine House
- Ohzora Publishing
- Shodensha Publishing
- Shogakukan Inc.
- Shonen Gahosha Co.
- Stren Co.
- Takeshobo Co.
- Tatsumi Publishing Co.
- Shonen Manga
- Shojo Manga
- Seinen Manga
- Josei Manga
- All-Ages Manga
- Yaoi Manga
- Yuri Manga
- Digital Publishing
Popular Current Titles:
- Poor, Poor Lips by Hayako Goto
- Dousei Ai by Setona Mizushiro
- Star Protector Dog by Takashi Murakami
- Working Kentauros by est em
- Girlfriends by Milk Morinaga
- Ekiben Hitoritabi by Kan Sakurai and Jun Hayase
- Peace Maker by Nanae Chrono
- Chitose Get You!! by Etsuya Mashima
- To All Corners of the World by Fumiyo Kouno
- Devil King by Takao Saito a
Artwork Submission Policy:
- Vote for 6 New Houbunsha Manga on JManga - June 11, 2012
- JManga Opens To Readers Worldwide, Offers Sign-Up Deals - March 13, 2012
- JManga Launches Japanese/English Translation Contest on Facebook - January 24, 2012
- JManga Offers Free 'Sherlock Holmes' Manga to New Subscribers - December 6, 2011
- Report Card: JManga.com Slashes Prices, But Does It Make the Grade? - October 11, 2011
- Interview: JManga Publishers Reveal Details About New Comics Website - August 12, 2011
- Japanese Manga Publishers to Unveil J-Manga.com at Comic-Con - July 1, 2011