Literally translates as "comics for women" or specifically, for female readers between the ages of 18 - 30, although women in their 40's and 50's also read josei titles. Josei manga stories usually feature more mature, complex stories and themes and tend have more sexually explicit content than shojo manga. Stories about office life, marriages, infidelity, babies, families and of course, romance are popular.
Examples of josei manga include:
- Happy Mania by Moyocco Anno
- The Aromatic Bitters by Erica Sakurazawa
- Tramps Like Us (Kimi wa Pet) by Yayoi Ogawa
- Blue by Nananan Kiriko.
- Walking Butterfly by Chihiro Tamaki
- With The Light by Keiko Tobe