Attention NYC maids and Lolitas -- Saturday June 7, 2008 is your day to invade Books Kinokuniya in Manhattan with your frilly fabulousness to celebrate "International Lolita Day" with the folks from New York Anime Festival, Del Rey Manga, Samurai Beat Radio and VIZ Pictures.
There's a full day of activities for maid and Lolita fashion fans, including a tea party, lectures about Japanese maid and Lolita fashion, movies and readings, plus giveaways and treats galore.
Be one of the first 50 attendees dressed in your best maid or Lolita outfit (or anime, video game or manga-inspired cosplay) and you'll score a gift bag of cool goodies from Del Rey Manga, New York Anime Festival and VIZ Pictures, and all cosplayers who come in that day will automatically get a 10% off manga and anime.
And whether you're dressed to thrill or not, all attendees can enter a drawing to win prizes like a collection of 100 of Del Rey Manga's best-selling and fan-favorite books, free tickets to this September's New York Anime Festival, and select films from the VIZ Pictures catalog.
Here's the day's schedule:
- 10 am: Kinokuniya Bookstore opens. The first 50 customers dressed in Lolita or Maid dresses or anime, manga, or video game cosplay will receive a Lolita and Maid Fashion Day Gift Bag including presents from Del Rey Manga, the New York Anime Festival, and VIZ Pictures.
- 10 am to 3 pm: Lolita and Maid Fashion Day Tea Party. All customers who order a cup of tea from Kinokuniya's Café Zaiya between 10 AM and 3 PM will receive a complimentary assortment of Japanese treats along with their drink.
- 3 - 4 pm: An Introduction to Lolita and Maid Fashion. An overview of the diverse world of fashion in modern Japan. Lolitas and Maids are just the beginning.
- 4 - 4:30 pm: Akiba-Kei Music Scene. Maid fashion began in Tokyo's Akihabara. Samurai Beat Radio presents a look into Akihabara's music scene today, how it influenced Maid fashion, and how Maid fashion now influences Akihabara's music.
- 4:30 - 5 pm: A Reading from Maid Machinegun. Maid Machinegun, a new light novel from Del Rey Manga, follows the misadventures of Aaliyah, a recent recruit at one of Akihabara's busiest Maid Cafés. Del Rey Manga presents an overview of the world of Maid Machinegun, including a special greeting from the author written just for today and selected readings from the book.
- 5 - 7 pm: Movie Screening: Kamikaze Girls. Momoko is a super-sweet Lolita. Ichigo is a tough-talking thug. They couldn't have come from more different worlds, but somehow the two become the closest of friends and embark on the most incredible of adventures. Screened with permission from VIZ Pictures.
- 7 pm: Raffle Drawing. 100 books from Del Rey Manga and free tickets to the New York Anime Festival are just two of the prizes up for grabs in the Lolita and Maid Fashion Day Giveaway. Customers can enter all day long, and to win, they'll have to be present at 7 PM for the giveaway's drawing.
Books Kinokuniya is located in Midtown Manhattan, at 1073 Avenues of the Americas (between 40th and 41st Streets, across from Bryant Park, Ph: 212-869-1700. And don't forget, New York Anime Expo will return to the Big Apple on September 26 - 28, 2008 at the Jacob K. Javits Center in Midtown Manhattan.